Skip to main content

Chris embraces ‘chaos’


Young Aussie traveller brings home a new attitude – by Jennifer Scott, Sunshine Coast Daily - Sunday issue

Travellers pick up many things on their journeys – souvenirs, stories and often altered perspectives. Marcoola’s Chris Dowding came back from his working holiday with a newfound ability to relax and live for today.

Pushed along by his “chaotic” new wife Kerryn, in 2001 the uptight engineer had packed his bags, given the credit card a workout and headed for the Emerald Isle. As Kerryn had decided they were going overseas, Chris got to decide where they would live. One of the things that attracted him to Ireland was its laid-back lifestyle.

“I think I really wanted to learn how to have fun,” Chris said. “I was a pretty uptight sort of person. I was always worrying about the future and trying to thing about what I’m going to do tomorrow – how I’m going to get where I’m going, get promoted and all that sort of stuff. What I could see in Ireland was they lived more for today. Some of them would just spend all their money going out, having fun. I really found that confronting.”

Chris, who was 28 when he arrived in Ireland, recounts his journey to become a more relaxed and accepting human being with great humour in his first book, A few Drops short of a Pint. It’s a full-bodied travel memoir that gives the reader a taste of Irish life and history, covering the author’s day-to-day life in Dublin, as well as his travels in both the Republic and Northern Ireland.

The first thing that struck Chris when he arrived in Dublin, the city he would call home for the next seven months, was the sense of disorder. “In traffic, waiting for the bus, whatever, you don’t queue you just push in,” he said. “And just walking on the street you sort of have to dodge and weave your way along – no-one stayed on the left or the right, everyone was just doing their own thing.

Chaos also reigned on the roads, where the rules were “loosely” obeyed. “I remember one day a little old lady going the wrong way around a roundabout, and she just waved at everyone as she went round and off she went,” Chris said.

“Hazard lights are a law to do anything.”

While Kerryn picked up reception work, Chris, who now part owner of Tod Consulting in Noosaville, found a job with a small engineering company. Many of the anecdotes in his book revolve around his boss, a somewhat contradictory character. “One day he’d be saying something had to be really, really, really safe – and the next day ‘oh no, that’s way, way too expensive, the client will never go for that’. So it was constantly swinging back and forth between what he wanted and what I did.”

Immersed in a foreign culture, Chris had to open himself up to a whole new social circle, and new experiences. While he was “always uncomfortable” playing sport in Australia, in Ireland he found himself playing soccer and Gaelic football. “There’s a really big thing in Australia about playing sport,” Chris said. “You’re propped up as a bit of a hero if you’re good at it. And I played it there [Ireland] and I was still crap. But they just accepted it like that, there was no real angst about it, no real pressure about it, and I got better.”

As he says in the book: “Accept your neighbour, no matter how crazy he seems” was an attitude he came across again and again in Ireland. And it’s one that helped him learn to accept the Irish, and himself. “I’m pretty sure now my friends did (accept me), but I was so closed in about myself I just didn’t hear anyone else saying anything good about me. I was really angry at myself all the time… (thinking I’m) not doing good enough, (I’ve) got to do better.”

Chris, who actually met his wife at an Irish pub in Brisbane, decided he wasn’t going to send the usual post-card emails back home, saying ‘I went here, I saw this’, but wanted to give his friends and family a sense of what the place felt like. His darkly comical emails were a hit, and had his friends asking for more.

“Towards the end of the time there [Ireland] I thought, well, actually I’ve always wanted to write something,” he said. “I think I always had a story I wanted to tell in there somewhere, and this seemed to be it. And really I think Ireland creates a lot of stories – you just need to have your pen ready to write them down.”

A few Drops short of a Pint was written over five years, from 2002-2007. “The Irish can tell a joke in 10 seconds and I took five years to get mine right,” Chris laughs. But get it right he did, with the story taking out the IP 2007 writer’s award for Best Creative Non-Friction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Congratulations Barack Obama - the dawn of a new day

He's done it - or rather, America has. Today will go down as a historic moment for America and the world, one that the rest of the world was watching intently. And if the rest of the world could have voted, they would be happy. A recent international poll by the BBC World Service found that the 22 countries surveyed preferred to see Obama win the election. For me, it means hope. The U.S looked stuck in old approaches to ongoing problems. Problems in Iraq - throw more troops at it. Banks losing hand over fist - throw more money into them. Doing more of the same thing seems to guarantee getting more of the same results. Fear, misunderstanding and mistrust were the order of the day. But now I see a man who wants to embrace everyone. A man who wants to understand. A man who wants to build trust. The mettle of any organisation, including a country, is set by its leader. I can't wait to see what can be achieved with this man as an example to the people of the U.S. and the world. Let

George - one of the most successful fraudsters in history

This man has successfully posed as the American president since 2001. He has pulled off an incredible variety of politically suicidal stunts and his latest effort is possibly one of the best. Thousands of people lose their homes. George appears to do nothing, apart from talking up the US economy. A little while later, millions of people have lost their homes. Still nothing. A few bankers lose their shirts. George and the Federal Reserve hand over billions and billions of dollars to prop them up. Suddenly, lots of bankers and stockbrokers have lost their shirts, and George is looking to hand them nearly a trillion dollars . What I don't understand is this -> if he has a trillion dollars to spare (and I think the only way he could is to get the U.S mint printing 24 hours a day), why doesn't he buy up the houses that have been foreclosed, and rent them back to the previous owners, or even more radically, give them back. Surely the same amount would be spent, people would have a

Engineers practising medicine?

The office I work in is located above an X-ray and Imaging centre, and a Doctor's practice. Because the local Council won't allow large or numerous signs on new buildings, it isn't uncommon for people to get lost and end up at our door. Annie, our secretary, usually redirects them to the right office. Yesterday, she walked past my desk. 'There was a man at the door who wanted to give blood. I said to him this was the wrong office. He said the sign downstairs was pointing up at our office, so this must be the right place. He wouldn't leave. I think he must have thought I didn't understand what kind of office I worked in." "Well, we can take his blood if he really wants us to," I replied. "Ask him to sit down and say someone will come out shortly. And let's leave him there for hours," added a colleague, smiling. "You're missing a new opportunity, Annie. Ask him which vein he wants the blood taken from and then prick him with